New Orleans Cuisine

My Creole & Cajun Recipe Page

This is my blog dedicated to New Orleans & Louisiana cooking! I'll give links to great Creole & Cajun recipes and sites, as well as some of my own recipes. I love talkin' New Orleans, food and otherwise! Incidentally, I'm from Detroit. Go Figure. Lets just say I figured out "what it means, to miss New Orleans" and this site helps ease the pain.

[View Guestbook] [Sign Guestbook]
E-Mail Me!
"Leaving New Orleans also frightened me considerably. Outside of the city limits the heart of darkness, the true wasteland begins."
-Ignatius J. Reilly from A Confederacy of Dunces
Home

Custom Search

Sunday, May 01, 2005

New Orleans Cuisine - The Po' Boy

My whole house smells of fried seafood and I don't care. I just made a Fried Shrimp Po' Boy that totally scratched an itch! I'm not going to go crazy and say it was as good as one from New Orleans because I have that damned bread issue, but it was pretty damned close! The shrimp were expertly cooked if I do say so, but that damned bread! But hey, I improvise, that's what cooks are good at, I even improvised on the chips, being that we don't have Zapp's here. Folks in New Orleans have probably never made a Po' Boy in their lives, I wouldn't either if I lived their, they're everywhere!
Usually when I get to New Orleans, I mean, as soon as my plane lands, I'm clammering to get into the city for something to eat, usually a Muffuletta or Po' Boy to start, or maybe a dozen oysters from Felix's; something I can get into my face, quick. Hey Cabbie, I'm starving. Can you use the shoulder? My trips to New Orleans are eating trips, I mean like nine meals a day, with stops at Felix's or Desire for some Oysters in between. I like Felix's because you can just stand at the bar shoot the shit with the shucker's, eat your oysters and head back out. Last time I was down, the first meal was a Po' Boy from Johnny's, Fried Shrimp; it was busy so I got my order and sat in the street like a common Hobo with a big grin on my face, chomping away and sipping a go-cup of Abita Amber! It felt like home.
Now when it comes to Po' Boys, I'm a purist. There are a few restaurant that could make a half-way decent Po' Boy here, but they F@$k with it too much. One place uses Cole Slaw, another puts cocktail sauce on it!!?? Come on man, don't get fancy on me! No Remoulade sauce, no Chipotle mayonnaise, just a dressed Po' Boy, you're killing me! I bet if someone opened a straight up Po' Boy shop here in Michigan, if the location was right, they would clean up! The restaurants that serve them here try to make it Gourmet, I just want to grab 'em and shake 'em! It's called a Po' Boy, knock it off already! Mayonnaise, Creole Mustard, Shredded Lettuce, Pickles, sometimes Tomato, Filling, hot sauce on the table.

The recipe later.

4 Comments:

Blogger sleepybomb said...

as i speak s.a. is in the kitchen wrestlin' with the shrimps to make po' boys, ( i think she was inspired by your post). she says it won't be the best, but here in reno i ain't gonna complain, just gimme the damn po'boy and a beer. the smell is killing me!

8:44 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Hello! Just popping in for my weekly visit. You make me so hungry and lonesome for New Orleans that I don't know why I keep coming. Oh yeah, because it's wonderful.

8:47 PM  
Blogger Danno said...

M.A. - That's great! I hope they were as soul satisfying as mine was, I'm sure they were.

Laurie Kay - Sorry to torture you so, this site is for all of us tortured souls who are missing New Orleans. Thanks!

8:23 AM  
Blogger SantaBarbarian said...

oooohhhhhhhh....pooooooooo' boy! yummalicious.

(drooling on keyboard now...thanks a bunch...)

Yeah...we all tend to have that damn'd bread issue. ;-)

11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home