New Orleans Cuisine

My Creole & Cajun Recipe Page

This is my blog dedicated to New Orleans & Louisiana cooking! I'll give links to great Creole & Cajun recipes and sites, as well as some of my own recipes. I love talkin' New Orleans, food and otherwise! Incidentally, I'm from Detroit. Go Figure. Lets just say I figured out "what it means, to miss New Orleans" and this site helps ease the pain.

[View Guestbook] [Sign Guestbook]
E-Mail Me!
"Leaving New Orleans also frightened me considerably. Outside of the city limits the heart of darkness, the true wasteland begins."
-Ignatius J. Reilly from A Confederacy of Dunces
Home

Custom Search

Monday, April 04, 2005

The Picayune's Creole Cook Book & Historical Cooking

In my last post I mentioned The Picayune's Creole Cook Book. For anyone interested in the cuisine of New Orleans, or if you just love cookbooks, this is a great fun read. I have a 1987 reprint addition that is edited and compilated by Marcelle Bienvenu, the original was published in 1901. The recipes are left as is, with measurements such as one half-gill or a wineglassful, and Marcelle's comments and suggestions in a sidebar. You can really get an understanding of the evolution of Creole Cuisine when reading this book. You can also see how Cajun & Creole, like it or not, have fused together in certain areas over the years. The recipes are stripped versions of the ones we know today. I love to read this book for the same reason I love to read Carolyn's 18th Century Cuisine, if you haven't checked her out yet, do so. She does everything in the old world way and it's fascinating. I love to see how recipes have evolved, and our cooking techniques and equipment have advanced. I also believe that with some of those advances, our food quality has declined; meaning processed foods. Its fascinating to think about a cook having to tend a wood fire, to maintain an even cooking heat. I've tried it on my wood burning stove/fireplace, it's definately not easy. Yet with our modern conveniences and gadgets, the only cooking most people do is throw a plastic container in the microwave, whose contents I wouldn't be able to spell, let alone pronounce. If you like historical cooking, and just learning about how to really make things from scratch, check out the above cookbook and website.

2 Comments:

Blogger Carolyn said...

Thank you for the lovely compliment--several people have clicked on over already.

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't know if anyone's reading this thread, but if you are...I am looking for historical recipes for Louisiana-style hot sauces: does the cookbook you reference contain them? Thanks!

12:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home