New Orleans Cuisine

My Creole & Cajun Recipe Page

This is my blog dedicated to New Orleans & Louisiana cooking! I'll give links to great Creole & Cajun recipes and sites, as well as some of my own recipes. I love talkin' New Orleans, food and otherwise! Incidentally, I'm from Detroit. Go Figure. Lets just say I figured out "what it means, to miss New Orleans" and this site helps ease the pain.

[View Guestbook] [Sign Guestbook]
E-Mail Me!
"Leaving New Orleans also frightened me considerably. Outside of the city limits the heart of darkness, the true wasteland begins."
-Ignatius J. Reilly from A Confederacy of Dunces
Home

Custom Search

Saturday, April 23, 2005

New Orleans Cuisine's Louisiana-Shrimp Etouffee

I made Shrimp Etouffee yesterday with Emeril Lagasse's new line of Wild Caught Louisiana Shrimp. I'm not really a big fan of Emeril's packaged sauces and what-not, but this one is just Louisiana Shrimp wearing his mug on the package. The shrimp are great! Flavorful, tender, great! I figured what better dish to give the Shrimp a test run than the New Orleans Cuisine classic, Etouffee. Be forewarned, this dish is not for the health concious; as a matter of fact, you may want to keep a defibrillator in the dining room. There's butter and plenty of it!
I always buy shell on shrimp, why? For the same reason I buy bone in cuts of meat. Stock. The amount of shrimp you're using for this recipe will produce just enough Shrimp Stock, plus a little extra (recipe below). Shrimp stock only needs to cook for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Shrimp Stock

The Shells and tails from 1 lb. of Shrimp
1/2 Cup chopped Onion
1/4 Cup chopped Celery
1/4 Cup chopped Carrot
2 Garlic Cloves
2 Fresh Bay Leaves
1 tsp. Black Peppercorns

Add all ingredients to a 2 qt. saucepan. Cover this with cold water, it should be about 2 - 2 1/2 Cups. You'll need 1 1/2 Cups for the Etouffee. Bring almost to a boil, reduce the heat to a low simmer. Simmer for about 45 minutes to an hour. Strain.

Some of the techniques that I use in this recipe, I picked up from Paul Prudhomme's books. I've mentioned before that I am a big fan of his cooking, if I keep making recipes like this one, I'll be a REALLY big fan of his cooking! The best Etouffee I've ever eaten was from K-Paul's. During Carnival they open their window and serve a number of different dishes, street food style! The Etouffee recipe:

New Orleans Cuisine's Louisiana Shrimp Etouffee Recipe

2 Tbsp plus 1 tsp Creole Seasoning
4 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
3/8 Cup A.P. Flour
1/4 Cup Onion, Finely Chopped
1/4 Cup Celery, Finely Chopped
1/4 Cup Bell Pepper, Finely Chopped
2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
1 1/2 Cups Shrimp Stock
2 tsp Homemade Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp Hot Sauce (I like Crystal or Louisiana Gold)
1 Stick Unsalted Butter
1/2 Cup Green Onions, thinly sliced
1 lb Good Quality Shrimp, Peeled and Deveined, Save shells for the stock (I use Wild-Caught Louisiana Shrimp)
Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste
1 Recipe Creole Boiled Rice

While your stock is simmering heat the oil over medium heat. Add the flour and stir to make a red-brown Roux 7-10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in 1 Tablespoon of the seasoning, the Holy Trinity (Onions, Celery, Bell Pepper), and the Garlic. Set aside. (Up to This step can be done in advance.)

When the stock is finished and strained, bring 1 cup of it to a boil. Whisk the Roux and vegetable mixture in and reduce the heat to a simmer. Add 1 Tablespoon of the seasoning, Worcestershire, and the Hot Sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes.

Have your Creole Boiled Rice ready and your serving dishes warmed before starting the next step.

In a large Cast-Iron frying pan, melt 1/2 stick of the butter over medium heat. Add the Green Onions, Shrimp, and remaining 1 tsp Creole Seasoning. Saute until the Shrimp just start to turn pink. Add 1/2 Cup more of the Shrimp Stock and the remaining 1/2 stick butter; cook until the butter is melted and incorporated into the sauce, 3-5 minutes, constantly shaking the pan back-and-forth (versus stirring). If you sauce starts to separate, add a splash of stock and continue shaking the pan.

Mound 1/2 cup of Creole Boiled Rice on each serving plate (2), Divide the Etouffee onto the two plates. Serve immediately.

Serves 2

15 Comments:

Blogger SantaBarbarian said...

I think most cajun/creole food you need to have a defib somewhere in the vicinity...but, dang it is soooooo good passing the palate.

12:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Danno, what's the advantage of sauteing the shrimp rather than adding them to the pot raw and simmering them until they're cooked through? I've always done the latter when cooking etouffee but might have to try out your method if it improves the flavor. Thanks.

7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the difference between sauteing and dropping them in raw is that when you saute you create seal around the shrimp that locks in juices and retains a more distinct flavor. When you drop the shrimp in raw (which I'm just as likely to do), the boiling liquid penetrates the shrimp and incorporates more of the "essence" of the pot.

6:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I knew I found heaven the first time I ate etouffee this last spring. I loved the food in southern LA so much I decided I have to move there!

1:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dropping raw shrimp into hot liquid and simmering them generally results in tough shrimp that actually carries LESS of the flavors of the liquid you are cooking them in. The hot liquid chemically changes the outer flesh of the shrimp so quickly, the flavors of the pot can't penetrate into the protein. Plus the amount of time needed for the heat to cook the centers results in a tough, rubbery outside and dull, sometimes mushy inside. Instead of sauteing, try poaching the shrimp in a modified courtbulloin of a liitle shrimp or fish stock, water, Holy Trinity and cajun spice (I would suggest leaving out the lemon and wine usually found in the poaching liquid if you plan to use the shrimp for etouffee). Start with the liquid and the shrimp cold, heat over medium flame for 10 minutes for 20 per pound shrimp (water should be at a scant simmer- about 165ish). Drop cooking time by 1.5-2 minutes per every 5 additional shrimp per pound, because they're smaller. Shrimp should be firm and pink. Remove the pan from heat, cover and let rest 1.5-2 minutes, then pop the shrimp in an ice bath to stop the cooking, then drain well. When you're ready to add them to the etouffee, make sure you do it just before serving, only long enough for the shrimp to warm through. This method works best for big, fresh shrimp... there's not much that can be done for the frozen ones, and the little salad or bay shrimp go from raw to rubber so fast that they just haven't worked for me. Have fun!

4:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you saute' the shrimp, undercook it. Then refridgerate it. Place it into the completed etouffee, and then bring the whole mixture to a boil and let that boil hard for about 1 minute so that the shrimp can finish cooking. This will bring all the flavors together nicely.
Happy cooking,
-Alpha

10:51 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

To add a little more flavor try boiling the shrimp in cracb boil before peeling for the etouffee. This adds some spice, the way us New Orleanians like things, Good and Spicy!!!

4:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

soory for the typo in the previous comment. It was supposed to be Crab Boil not cracb boil. If you do not know what this is look in your grocery store where you would find other seasonings, usually by the fish fry in the box. But beware a little of this goes a long way!!!

4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For awesome recipes, cool culinary finds, and amazing cuisine from New Orleans to Natchez, check out www.countryroadsmag.com .

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not a chef, I just like to cook and eat. Thank you for the easy to follow instructions, the dish turned out fantastic!!

4:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm confused. When do you mix the roux and vegetables with the sauteed shrimp? Am I missing something? This sounds like such a great recipe, because there's less of a chance that the shrimp will get overcooked. Help!

11:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about clearing up the last part of the recipe for those of us that don't have it written in our heads. A+ for effort, but F- for follow through.

6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe when it says add the rest of the stock and the other 1/2 stick of butter, that would be adding it to the roux and veggies,and then simply add your sauted shrimp last. But boy was I pissed until I figured it out. (Your Welcome)

6:56 PM  
Anonymous Amanda Gardner said...

I just made étouffée using your recipe for Fat Tuesday and it was awesome! Thank you so much!

2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was one of the best etouffees I have had outside of New Orleans. I fixed it for my husband one night and he told me that I needed to put this on normal rotation. The one thing that I did with the shrimp was take my stock and boiled it down until it was just a thick, gorgeous, rich glace. After it had cooled some, I tossed the shrimp in it, added my Creole seasoning, and then added it to the gravy in the last 10 minutes of cooking. I brought the gravy up to a gentle simmer and it turned out really really, good.

10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home