New Orleans Cuisine

My Creole & Cajun Recipe Page

This is my blog dedicated to New Orleans & Louisiana cooking! I'll give links to great Creole & Cajun recipes and sites, as well as some of my own recipes. I love talkin' New Orleans, food and otherwise! Incidentally, I'm from Detroit. Go Figure. Lets just say I figured out "what it means, to miss New Orleans" and this site helps ease the pain.

[View Guestbook] [Sign Guestbook]
E-Mail Me!
"Leaving New Orleans also frightened me considerably. Outside of the city limits the heart of darkness, the true wasteland begins."
-Ignatius J. Reilly from A Confederacy of Dunces
Home

Custom Search

Monday, April 11, 2005

Making Beef Stock

I made a large batch of beef stock yesterday. As I've mentioned before, my freezer is comparable to the catacombs, filled with bones from all types of animals: Beef, Veal, Chicken, Pork, Lamb, Turkey. I usually buy the bone in cuts of meat, just so I will have the bones for stock. I'm also fortunate enough to have a grocery store nearby, which always carrys a few packages of beef bones, or turkey wings. Everytime I'm there, I grab what they have and put them in the freezer. When I can't fit another turkey neck into the catacombs, I make stock. I usually do beef and poultry in the same day, but I haven't collected enough chicken and turkey bones.
Most home cooks are intimidated by making stocks. Making a good stock is a cakewalk, as long as you follow a few simple rules:
  • Always start with cold water
  • Never boil
  • Never stir
  • Cook your stock slow & low, no shortcuts

A well made stock has no store bought equivalent. There are many dishes within New Orleans Cuisine that require a good beef stock: Turtle Soup, Marchand de Vin Sauce, Demi Glace, Sauce Robert, Creole Onion Soup, Espagnole Sauce, and many more. You have to do some planning however, before you make your stock. About a week before the day, I start saving trimmings from onions, celery, and carrots. Also put your bones into the refrigerator from the freezer, about 3-4 days before you plan on making the stock. Make stock on a day when you plan on staying around the house, maybe laundry day. There isn't a lot of work involved, just a lot of time.

My Beef Stock Recipe

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home