New Orleans Cuisine

My Creole & Cajun Recipe Page

This is my blog dedicated to New Orleans & Louisiana cooking! I'll give links to great Creole & Cajun recipes and sites, as well as some of my own recipes. I love talkin' New Orleans, food and otherwise! Incidentally, I'm from Detroit. Go Figure. Lets just say I figured out "what it means, to miss New Orleans" and this site helps ease the pain.

[View Guestbook] [Sign Guestbook]
E-Mail Me!
"Leaving New Orleans also frightened me considerably. Outside of the city limits the heart of darkness, the true wasteland begins."
-Ignatius J. Reilly from A Confederacy of Dunces
Home

Custom Search

Thursday, March 10, 2005

A Variety of Uses for Creole Sauce

Now that I've given my basic recipe for Creole Sauce, here are some examples of its versatility within New Orleans Cuisine. Keep in mind, my recipe of Creole sauce is pretty small, 2-3 servings.

Catfish Courtbouillon (COO-B-yawn) Creole sauce made with dark roux and Seafood sock. Simmer the sauce with 4-5 lemon slices, add Catfish cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces. For my small recipe I would use about an 8-10 oz. Piece of Catfish. Serve over Boiled rice.

Grillades & Grits (GREE-yahds) Creole sauce made with dark roux and beef, veal or pork stock. I use Round Steak 1 lb. cut into 2 inch squares about 1/2 inch thick. Dredge the Grillades in flour mixed with Creole seasoning. Heat about 3 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil in a dutch oven until almost smoking, brown them very well (in batches if necessary). Cover the Grillades with Creole sauce, add a little water or beef stock to make it slightly thin, the sauce will reduce while cooking. Simmer for about 2 hours or until the meat is very tender. Serve over Grits.

Sauce Piquant This is a Cajun sauce which can contain almost any varmint imaginable. Alligator, Turtle, Squirrel, Rabbit, Shrimp, Chicken, Crawfish, et cetera. This is basically Creole sauce which is very, very hot; which makes it a Cajun Sauce. I would add about 1/4 cup hot peppers (Jalapenos if they're hot ones (they're not as hot as they used to be), or Serranos) for my small Creole Sauce recipe. Make it with a comparable stock to the main ingredient. Make it similar to the Courtbouillon. I don't usually use a thickening agent for this sauce, if I do its a dark roux. Serve this dish over rice.

Shrimp Creole Make your Creole Sauce with Shrimp stock. If you're fortunate enough to be able to find heads on shrimp, do so. Simmer the shrimp (about a pound) in the sauce until just cooked through, serve immediately over rice with plenty of sauce.

Creole Choron Sauce This sauce goes great with seafood, particularly Soft Shell Crab. Equal parts Creole Sauce & Bearnaise Sauce mixed together.

...more to come...

1 Comments:

Blogger Carolyn said...

Wow, Grillades would be like rillettes without all of the seasoning. And what a great way to use up bits and pieces of flesh.

As an aside, I'll never forget the time I first came from the West to Little Rock, AR, and order an omelet for breakfast. It was served with a side of grits--I thought the cook had made a mistake, as there was no toast on the plate . . . so I just left it on the plate, sacrilage, I suspose!

9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home